Thursday, August 9, 2012

Kool-Aid and Ice Cube Painting

Our science theme today was freezing and melting. So an obvious art project for that would be painting with colored ice cubes. But there's been so much out there already like that and I wanted to change it up a little. I read here about sprinkling kool-aid powder onto paper, then going over it with a regular ice cube. It didn't show any pictures so I had no idea how it would turn out. When I tried it at home quickly last night, I just used cherry and it looked really cool! So today I set out 5 different colors.
I had made regular ice cubes with a toothpick inserted in the middle. The kids sprinkled different colors of kool-aid on their paper,
and then slowly painted over it with an ice cube.
Unfortunately, if they used all the colors of kool-aid, they mostly got a brown painting. But I think I was the only one disappointed. The kids still loved it!



 And some turned out very colorfully.


The kids were excited to see the color just appear on their paper, since the powder is quite dull. And our room smelled soooo good all day long! Oh, but here's what happens if you "paint" too much with the ice cube:
Fun Fact: I know I usually only do fun facts when I share animal crafts, but for some reason I decided to google Kool-Aid and I found out that it was invented by Edwin Perkins in Hastings, Nebraska. To this day, Hastings celebrates Kool-Aid Days, a yearly festival that takes place the second weekend of August, which would be this coming weekend! Cool! (Or should I say Kool?)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this awesome idea! I did this when I was teaching the letter "I" to my kiddo and he had so much fun! Thanks again for the inspiration. http://howlinghorn.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-week-of-i.html