Sunday, March 11, 2012

YAH: Spring Wreath/Summer Wreath

This post has been updated with a summer version! Scroll to the bottom of this post to see it!
I know it isn't officially spring yet, but the temps sure feel like spring to me and we did "spring forward" today. Besides, I can't wait any longer to share this wreath with you. Although I do give my permission to pin anything on my blog, if you like this wreath I prefer that you pin my inspiration at P.S. Capture the Details instead. I copied Patty's almost exactly, so it only seems fair. Thank you.
I do want to tell you a little about my experience that may help you, though. If you decide to make this and you get to the store and find out how small the 8" wreath is, you may be tempted to go bigger. I was. But I'm glad I didn't because this wreath took me a full two hours to wrap!
I made three of these wreaths -- one for me, one for my mom and one for my mother-in-law. For the first one, I sat at the table to wrap it. But for the next two, I wrapped while watching a movie. It made it go a little faster. Also, I stopped wrapping every 10 wraps or so to fluff the yarn. I only fluffed the front of the wreath and I noticed a big difference because the back was all matted down and not that pretty. And another thing to make note of, my first wreath took exactly one skein of yarn, but the other two took slightly more than one skein. So I would suggest getting two skeins just to be safe. I also went with multiple colors of pins instead of all pink.
At first it was because that's all I could find. So I used several shades of pinks and purples and loved it so much that when I went back to get more and actually found a pack of only pink ones, I still decided to get the multi-pack.
I copied Patty's "bare feet welcome" sign as well, because it's so dang cute! So I made my own on my computer, printed it out and taped it to a toothpick.
I also made one with green letters and couldn't decide which I liked better. But either way, I love this wreath! It's hanging at the bottom of my steps by my front door. Every time I come down the steps, I see it and smile. Ahh, spring...
So please check out Patty's blog to find out how to make it. Her photos are beautiful!
Happy (early) Spring, everyone!
UPDATED 5/19/2013
I recently made a summer version of this wreath for my sister. I bought a strand of yellow-centered flowers and a pack of yellow and turquoise pins.
I also used yellow ribbon to hang it.
And my little sign reads, "flip flops optional."
It's just as cute, but not as Eastery, if you know what I mean.

4 comments:

Patty S said...

hi betsy!
i'm so glad you got to make a baby grass wreath! thank you for letting me know about it - i love to see how others turn out(sometimes people personalize them with chicks or eggs, etc).... yours does look very much like mine!
happy spring! patty :-)

Cindi said...

Hello,

Your wreath is adorable. Where did you end up finding the pink straight pins?

Thank you.

Betsy said...

I found all my supplies at Jo-Ann fabrics. Glad you like it!

iamveruca said...

I made this wreath and from the bottom of my heart I say "Thanks for the instructions" I used one skein of yarn on one because my wrappings were loose. The second wreath took two skeins as i wrapped the yarn very tight. Both looked amazing.