Friday, December 9, 2011

Liberty Crowns (and Torches)

The last stop of our road trip was New York! After "visiting" Niagara Falls, we went to the Statue of Liberty. We used paper plates again for our craft, cutting out the middle just like our craft for Mount Rushmore.
Then I took the middle circles and cut them into 8 triangles.
You'll only need 7 of them and if you want to make them skinnier or pointier you can, but I left them like this. The kids colored the plate and the triangles (both sides).
They used a glue stick to attach the triangles, but of course it didn't work well so I followed behind with my stapler.
You can also have your child color the whole plate first, then do all the cutting, but I wanted my kids to practice their counting.
When it was all put together, the kids enjoyed wearing it around the room, putting their hands up for the torch.
Well, within a few minutes they all wanted to make a torch, so we did that as well. I traced their hands (fingers close together) on orange paper and cut out 4 for each child. Then they glued them to the top of a piece of paper.
After letting the glue dry for a bit, I rolled the paper up and taped it closed. The torch was complete.
I told the kids that if they went home and dressed in a robe, held a book, wore their crown, and held up their torch for their parents, they would get "extra credit." They have to bring in a picture for proof. I wonder how many will do that. The last time I asked the kids to do that, I had 3 pictures brought it, out of 22 kids. Hmmm....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this idea! I just pinned this on Pinterest and can't wait to do this with my kids. :)

Betsy said...

Thanks, Rachel!