Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hummingbirds

This week we are learning about birds. On Monday I taught the kids all about hummingbirds. We did a very simple art project. I found a coloring page that I liked and made copies for the children. I put out oil pastels for them to use because they are so bright and rich in color. Then they put some glue on the throat of the hummingbird and sprinkled glitter on it.
In the past I've cut these out and hung them on our windows. They look really pretty and bright with the sun shining through. However, right now our windows are filled with other projects, so I just sent these home when they were dry. The kids learned that only the males have the sparkly gorgets, so some of them wrote "dad" on their paper. Very cute.

Fun Fact: Hummingbirds flap their wings 50 times every second!

No comments: